Contact me at lucyvictoriabrown@gmail.com because I'm always up for a natter about anything. Well, mostly.

Wednesday 2 January 2013

My Favourite Books of 2012

When I glanced through the list of books I've read this year (full list here) I groaned: how was I supposed to pick five out of that wonderful list that have been somehow better than the others? I had to limit myself to one Dickens, for instance, because other authors deserved a look in. It's a tricky one, this literary life.

Judy, A Legendary Film Career by John Fricke


This accessible analysis, full of quotes and pictures, covers the film career of my favourite actress ever. Many of the pictures were new to me and I gleaned so many titbits from this. In addition, it's a gorgeous book to hold and read. Perfection. You can read my full review here.

 The Somnambulist by Essie Fox


A wonderfully atmospheric novel set in Victorian England telling the story of several women intertwined by their pasts.This has some memorable scenes that have lingered with me. You can read my full review here.

Troubles by J.G. Farrell


An evocative look at the Irish Troubles in 1919, via the medium of Major Brendan Archer, a soldier who goes to reclaim his fiancĂ©. He finds himself in a dilapidated hotel surrounded by dilapidated guests and gets sucked into their lives through no fault of his own. You can read my full review here.

Gillespie and I by Jane Harris


A difficult one to describe without giving away the plot but I will say this is an enormously atmospheric and spine-tingling read that leaves you wanting to read the whole thing again. You can read my full review here.

Bleak House by Charles Dickens


One of the early books I read this year has endured. It's a mammoth work but quite possibly Dickens's best (that's always up for debate). A humorous, poignant and suitably complex book that I won't tire of rereading. You can read my full review here

No comments: