Today, I wanted to share 25 posts with you that I wish had been read more. Many stem from the early days of the blog and I hope they provide some entertainment to you.
Five Classic Film Reviews
- Victim - A 1961 film about a homosexual barrister (Dirk Bogarde) seeking out a blackmailer.
- Desk Set - A 1957 film where Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy battle over office computerisation.
- Lifeboat - A 1944 Hitchcock film about the survivors of a shipwreck - and the enemy in their midst.
- Sister Kenny - A 1946 biopic of a pioneering nurse starring Rosalind Russell.
- My Favourite Wife - A 1940 film where Irene Dunne returns from the grave to claim her newly remarried husband, Cary Grant.
Five Book Reviews
- Tell It To The Bees by Fiona Shaw
- Summer Will Show by Sylvia Townsend Warner
- All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West
- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- The Scourging Angel by Benedict Gummer
Fifteen 'Other' Posts
- 'Does Your Character Have a Political Agenda?' - In which I discuss my laziness.
- 'Imitating Greats' - In which I discuss Henry Fielding and share a small sample of my MA work.
- 'The New Condition of England Novel?' - In which I discuss, shortly after the 2010 election, whether the 'genre' has ever faded.
- 'Fear Itself' - In which I discuss how difficult fear is to portray.
- 'The End. Or Alternatively...' - In which I discuss Dickens, Sweet Charity and altered endings.
- 'Be a Curious Clown' - In which I discuss the mysteries of grated cheese amongst other things.
- 'A Life in Museum Leaflets' - In which I discuss sorting through the cupboards of my grandparents.
- 'Seconds of Serenity' - In which I discuss rolling down a hill in Austria.
- 'Using Profanities - Pure Laziness?' - In which I discuss whether swearing has lost its resonance.
- 'Regrets? I've Had a Few...' - In which I discuss my fearful personality.
- 'The Depths of the Library' - In which I discuss a scary visit.
- 'Surprising Discoveries in the Early Hours' - In which I discuss finding a present from my late grandfather.
- 'Some Victoria Wood Optimism' - In which I discuss my favourite song of hers.
- 'I Said Love - Or Did I?' - In which I discuss the necessity of spelling out emotions in fiction.
- 'Some Wise Words - Anne Bronte' - In which I discuss a favourite passage.
Thank you for reading...