Contact me at lucyvictoriabrown@gmail.com because I'm always up for a natter about anything. Well, mostly.

Thursday 2 January 2014

...Onwards to 2014

2013 was a mixed bag on the work front but a lousy year all told. It was the year things finally got away from me and I can only hope 2014 will be an improvement. I have big things ahead. This post details the things I'd like to do, as well as the things I need to do.

2014 is, barring catastrophe, thesis submission year. It's been a long time coming and, I have to admit, the light at the end of the tunnel is frightening. Completion will bring its own set of problems but if I look towards them I'll panic and flee. So, let's just focus on finishing writing, submitting, the viva and... Actually, let's just think about the writing aspect. Everything else is too scary.

Some more conferences would be a nice idea - either just attending or giving papers, ideally the latter.

I want to work on at least three academic articles/papers this year. Since I have four ideas already, that shouldn't be too difficult...right? We're going with optimism here.

On the writing side, I don't want to promise too much. 2014 is the year of the thesis, remember. However, if I don't write then I go a bit batty so there will be work. What work? Well, I have eight novel drafts to play with. I want to do full-scale edits on, say, three of them (and I know which three, which is always good). I've already started putting the polished two out into the world. We'll see where that goes this year. A NaNoWriMo draft is on the cards too, along with finishing 'Kathy' (the novel I failed to complete this year) and maybe another draft about something close to my heart. I'm almost certain no one else could write this idea with the truthfulness required. The question is, do I have the courage? We'll see.

I'm taking part in two reading challenges this year: the Chunkster Challenge (books over 450 pages, details here) and the TBR Challenge (books languishing on my shelf for over a year unread, details here). I've picked out the books so just need to read them now. Easy...

I want to continue going to the gym 2-3 times a week, at least until my membership runs out in August.

I've asked for driving lessons as a birthday present in July. Whether this comes off is still undecided but I do need to learn and this year might be the year. Keep off Yorkshire roads in August.

I've been saying for four years I want to learn a little Italian. I don't really know why but it's a deep-seated thing I do intend to do at some point.

No comments: