Contact me at lucyvictoriabrown@gmail.com because I'm always up for a natter about anything. Well, mostly.

Tuesday 7 February 2012

My Favourite Dickens Passage

Jeremy Vine asked the public on his Radio 2 show to share their favourite passage from Dickens to celebrate the 200th anniversary of his birth today. I thought I'd share one of mine on this blog. I read Oliver Twist last month and noted in the review that I particularly enjoyed Mr Bumble's flirting with Mrs Corney. My favourite passage from that novel comes at the end of chapter twenty-three.

"Mr Bumble's conduct on being left to himself, was rather inexplicable. He opened the closet, counted the teaspoons, weighed the sugar-tongs, closely inspected a silver milk-pot to ascertain that it was of the genuine metal, and, having satisfied his curiosity on these points, put on his cocked hat corner-wise, and danced with much gravity four distinct times round the table. Having gone through this very extraordinary performance, he took off the cocked hat again, and, spreading himself before the fire with his back towards it, seemed to be mentally engaged in taking an exact inventory of the furniture." (p210)

I don't know why I love it so much. Perhaps it's the image of Mr Bumble putting his hat on especially to dance around a table. Whatever the reason, when I think of Oliver Twist, I don't think of the orphan or Fagin or the Artful Dodger - I think of Mr Bumble and his spoon-counting.

Happy birthday, Mr Dickens!

4 comments:

Debbie Coope said...

I'm making it a must, that I read a Dickens novel this year. I've never read any, and I am missing out on wonderful writing. Can you recommend one for starters?

CharmedLassie said...

I have a soft spot for Great Expectations, having analysed it to death on my degree. That would be my recommendation but every man and his dog'll have another!

Heather Day Gilbert said...

Really loved this passage, too! I agree w/Debbie, I need to just bite the bullet and read a Dickens novel.

CharmedLassie said...

There are a few good comic moments in Oliver Twist which appealed to me but I'm thinking I'll find more as I read through the rest of the novels. Just started Bleak House. That'll see me through the next...month!