Natalie Clifford Barney was at the centre of decadent Paris in the opening decades of the 20th century. In this biography, Rodriguez examines the life of a controversial woman, famed more for her scandalous affairs with women and her literary salon than her own literary pursuits.
Barney is one of those subjects it's difficult to like. Rodriquez doesn't flinch away from examining her flighty nature and the selfishness that permeates the book is a bit overwhelming at times. However, it's balanced out by her generous acts and determination to help fellow writers in various ways. It creates something of a contradictory human being and that, of course, rings completely true.
Born into a life of privilege, Natalie Clifford Barney defied expectations by refusing to settle down and marry. Instead, she embarked on a series of intense love affairs with women from an early age. She didn't believe in fidelity, though, which caused problems with some of her more important relationships, In truth, it becomes a bit dizzying and her treatment of some of her partners doesn't portray her in a positive light.
It's easier to be impressed by her literary salon and the spasmodic efforts she put in to championing various writers and artists. The names peppered within this book read like a who's-who of the 20th century artistic scene with Ezra Pound, Rainer Maria Rilke and Ford Madoz Ford popping up. One of the most laudable of Barney's endeavours was to host nights specifically for celebrating women such as Gertrude Stein and Anna Wickham, one of the first attempts to draw attention to the achievements of women when men were getting most of the glory. The most amusing anecdote in the book comes via the retelling of Barney's single, disastrous meeting with Marcel Proust. It's worth reading just for that.
Barney's lack of application to her own literary talents is frustrating. Editing wasn't something she was interested in, meaning that her potential was never fulfilled. For me, anyway, this was one of the things that annoyed me about her and I was left wondering what could've been if she'd been forced to write to earn her living. However, that would've negated a lot of what made Natalie Clifford Barney who she was.
In the end, Rodriguez manages an intimate yet unflinching portrait of a flawed woman of privilege. The portrayals of American high society and Parisian life are evocative of a lost age and, overall, this is an excellent biography of a woman who, nevertheless, I couldn't bring myself to like.
3 comments:
Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing
KREDITNO PODUZEĆE ZA FINANCIJSKO PLANIRANJE TREBATE LI FINANCIJSKU POMOĆ? JESTE LI U FINANCIJSKOJ KRIZI ILI SU VAM POTREBNA SREDSTVA ZA POKRETANJE VLASTITOG POSLA? TREBATE LI SREDSTVA KAKO BISTE PODMIRILI DUG ILI ISPLATILI RAČUNE ILI POKRENULI DOBAR BIZNIS? IMATE LI NIZAK KREDITNI REZULTAT I TEŠKO VAM JE DOBITI KAPITALNE USLUGE OD LOKALNIH BANAKA I DRUGIH FINANCIJSKIH INSTITUTA? EVO VAŠE ŠANSE DA DOBIJETE FINANCIJSKE USLUGE OD NAŠE TVRTKE. NUDIMO SLJEDEĆE FINANCIJE POJEDINCIMA- *KOMERCIJALNE FINANCIJE *OSOBNE FINANCIJE *POSLOVNE FINANCIJE *POSLOVNE FINANCIJE *POSLOVNE FINANCIJE I MNOGO VIŠE: ZA VIŠE DETALJA. KONTAKTIRAJTE ME PUTEM. E-MAIL Pošaljite nam e-poštu: smartloanfunds@gmail.com Svi tražitelji gotovine trebali bi nas kontaktirati Whats App +385915608706
I’m from West Texas, and I was among a few others victim who lost hard earned money to a Forex Scam, I had invested in a broker firm to the extent that I could not afford it because this broker firm kept demanding more money whenever it is time to withdraw profits. I was lucky to have detected the foul play on time, unfortunately I had already lost $931,795 worth of Bitcoin, Ethereum to this broker firm.
After going to the authorities with no progress whatsoever, my lawyer directed me to a recovery agent who took over my case discreetly and began to trace and follow where the money has been laundered to, fortunately for me, this recovery team was able to trace and recover a huge chunk of my money, through blockchain technology. I was very pleased with how they handled my case and helped me gained my confidence back. Their contact information is Morphohack@CyberServices.Com
Post a Comment