Contact me at lucyvictoriabrown@gmail.com because I'm always up for a natter about anything. Well, mostly.

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Problems Pertaining to Sleep

It's probably a mark of my evolving mental state that the way I try and coax myself towards sleep has altered in the last few years. I didn't used to have too much trouble sleeping. I was fine in my first two years at undergraduate level but perhaps my problems started when I moved into a fifteen-person house in my third year. Certainly, my sleeping pattern altered then to what it has become once more - absolutely uncontrollable. I've held three different jobs since then which required forcing myself to function on very little sleep but being my own boss at the moment means I sleep from about three am to eleven am. It almost works. Almost.

I used to get myself to sleep by following a set of feet walking along the pavement (yes, this probably has a lot to do with my childhood exposure to The Bill). It worked for quite a while but recently I've hit a bit of a snag. Probably since I began my PhD I've struggled to switch off on a night. The feet didn't seem to be working any more. So here's the new thing - I imagine I'm cycling on a bike up a hill. Except, well, actually, it's not a real bike but a stationary one from a gym floor.

That says a lot, doesn't it? I'm parked on a hill on a stationary bike pedalling fruitlessly. Amazingly, this is the thought that is getting me to sleep every night... That's even more alarming, isn't it?

No comments: