Contact me at lucyvictoriabrown@gmail.com because I'm always up for a natter about anything. Well, mostly.

Wednesday 23 June 2010

Stomaching the Overhaul

It's sickening, isn't it?

You've got a draft that once upon a time you were very happy with. Now after a fair bit of scrutinisation you've realised that not only are things going to have to change - fundamental things are going to have to change.

I've got two stories on the go, one in the third draft stage (which is coming along nicely) and another first draft waiting for demolition. I realised today that it needs it.

No writer worth their salt imagines they'll write a bestseller in one sitting. We're a real self-loathing bunch to put ourselves through this on a regular basis. But just for the fun I thought I'd list everything that's wrong with my first draft.

1. My characterisation sucks - not enough time spent on it.
2. My plot has some holes bigger than the one in Wayne Rooney's head.
3. My scenes have no oomph. I do like my summaries.
4. I like my love story too much - I don't want to follow the plot and split them up, even when it's the logical thing to do.
5. My pacing is a tad... unpaced.

It can help to write down why something isn't working. In this case it just made me feel worse but at least I've pinpointed the problems!

No comments: